Friday, 16 September 2016

The Workshop Cafe


The Workshop Cafe

This cafe is actually our third cafe for that day. It was not easy to find as there were no signs or banner, at least a visible one, around the area. Luckily, a man saw us and I guess it was pretty obvious that we were looking for something or the cafe must've been really popular for tourists so he asked "Workshop cafe?". You can just imagine our overjoyed reply of "YES" to the man, then he pointed at an building in front of us, level 3 he said. 

We had to climb up an old but beautiful staircase to reach the cafe. When I first stepped in, it was like a I stepped in a lab! Clear flasks placed in rows greeted us except that they put coffee in there and not chemicals. First impression: Coffee brewing here is a serious business! 

Although I really do love coffee, I am not knowledgeable about the process at all. We had no idea how the menu works so we had the barista in charge of us explain it and also, give us a clue on what is the best seller.

The barista said that the unique point of their shop is that customers can choose the beans and method of brewing for their coffee. I chose a Chemex pour and Son's Farm beans (I am not really sure how to use the terms so correct me if I'm wrong).

The menu explains each brewing methods of Immersion and Pour Over. It also describes tastes of the beans so we at least had an idea on what we're getting at. I opted for a light, smooth and sweet finish for both brewing method and beans.

They served the coffee in a flask, and a small cup. I must say, it wasn't love at first sip. In fact, I doubted whether I'll be able to finish it all. I gave it another try, added a packet of sugar and it tasted better, 3rd sip and then 4th until I drank it all. The taste improves in every sip, I almost ordered for another cup but we had been drinking coffee all day so I had to restrain myself.

All in all, I recommend this cafe to those who loves coffee in its purest form. No syrup, milk or artificial flavors. Just pure, elegantly brewed coffee. 

address: 3/F p. q. 1, 27 Ngô Đức Kế, Bến Nghé, Ho Chi Minh City
opening hours: 8 AM - 9 PM
Savoury crepe stuffed with mushroom and topped with melted cheese. It was perfect!
Staircase was too pretty, we just had to snap photos


La Rotonde

After Gac Hoa cafe, we hailed another cab and headed to La Rotonde, The location is much easier to find compared to the other cafes we've been to. Below are the only photos we had at the cafe because apparently they charge 300 VND(around $13-$14) if we want to take pictures using my camera. We kinda just lost the enthusiasm to take any picture after that because well, uhm, we find the idea totally ridiculous. Anyway, we ordered affogato and cheese cake, the taste was okay, nothing extra ordinary. 

There were a lot of tourists in the cafe though, I'm not really sure why.   The place was nice for an afternoon chill but I could spend it on another cafe and it wouldn't make any difference.

address: 77 Hàm Nghi, Nguyễn Thái Bình, 1, Hồ Chí Minh, Vietnam
opening hours: 7 AM 0 11:30 PM




0 comments:

Post a Comment